Saturday, October 3, 2009

Perspectives on Jackson's Life & Legacy

Like myself, you are probably burned out on the endless news coverage of Michael Jackson. The night before his memorial, I discovered something that I wanted to share…particularly with my family. But, I thought I should wait for the media madness to die down a bit. With the recent airing on Dateline of the Jackson tapes, there is no end in sight. So, I've decided to publish it now.

As reported previously here, my cousin visited Michael in 1984. Because of the great sense of gratitude I felt towards Michael, I was an ardent defender of his for two decades. But I must confess, that during the 2005 trial I began having serious doubts about Michael’s innocence in the abuse cases that surrounded him. Certainly I am not alone in my experience of conflicted feelings, about this curious, and occasionally disturbing, Iconic personality. After reviewing accounts of the evidence presented at the trial, and reading extensive discussions on both sides of the argument, I’ve resolved the issue for myself based on three observations:

First: In America we live by the rule of law. Not the least of which, is the presumption of innocence. All too often, we exclude those with fame from this basic right. The more salacious the charges, the less likely we are to presume their innocence. Logically, we understand that those with fame and power are susceptible to extortion. (Recent events with David Letterman and John Travolta come to mind.) Celebrities are often targets of extortion...and very often with false charges. Sadly, the more famous they become...the more likely they are to be victimized. But emotionally, we don’t give that fact equal weight in our rush to pass judgment.

Second: Matthew 7:1 tells us to “Judge not, that you be not judged.“ Many Christians consider this citation overused and misunderstood: that we should not judge the person, but that we are able to judge one’s behavior. Perhaps. But further examination reveals in Wesley’s Notes to: “Judge not any man without full, clear, certain knowledge, without absolute necessity, without tender love.” Additionally, the People’s New Testament extrapolates that “What [Christ] designs to prohibit is rash, uncharitable judgments, a fault-finding spirit, a disposition to condemn without examination of charges.”

Which brought me to my Third observation: Michael Jackson was found innocent by a jury of his peers. Considerable evidence exists to support the possibility that this man was in fact extorted, repeatedly. Reports indicate that the payoff made in the 1993 case, which many point to as "evidence" of his guilt, was done at the urging of his advisors. In 2005, again urged to do otherwise, Jackson refused to pay off his accusers and to stand trial instead. He did so to find vindication, which most still refuse to afford him. Jackson was once quoted with stating that: "Before I would hurt a child, I would slit my wrists."

A statement by Quincy Jones in a recent interview confirmed my long-held feelings about Michael: “He was the most lovely…most loving…man I ever knew. But, he was a tortured soul.” None of us will ever know the truth for certain. But I for one, have chosen to assume he was innocent. And I remain, not an apologist...but a defender. It pains me deeply when I read comments like: "Michael was a great entertainer, yes...but that is all. He does not deserve the kind of attention and adulation given him." What they don't realize, is that Michael was much more than an entertainer. He was one of the greatest humanitarians we will ever know. If you have any doubts, check out the massive chronology of his works here: JacksonAction. Make no mistake, Jackson liked living large. But, it's apparent that he gave nearly half his fortune away. I challenge you to find more than a handful of people who did the same, while they were still living.

Finally, I want to share something I discovered while reminiscing through some of Michael’s videos. Outside of his music, and the overwhelming curiosities we’ve been fed by the media, there is little insight into what kind of man he really was. In 2001, Michael addressed the student union at prestigious Oxford University with a speech entitled “Heal the Kids”. Some refer to the speech using the title "How to Forgive Your Father". In it, Michael demonstrates much of what his close friends keep repeating…what an intellectual, and truly loving person he was. He reveals deep empathy for the empty lives some live, despite all the success and fame they may achieve, and material wealth they may come to possess. To speak of such an inner void caused him to pause three times during his speech to weep. His speech was interrupted by four standing ovations – a rare thing at the Oxford Union, where cool headed intellectuals are not noted for being outwardly emotional.

If you’re interested in hearing the audio files, they are split into four parts and are about 36 minutes total. While the text alone does not have the same impact as the audio files, you can read it here, if you prefer: Heal The Kids.

Most importantly for my family, you will discover that Michael spoke briefly about David in his speech (located in Part 2, between 3:00 and 4:50). He does not name David specifically. And while he obviously (and perhaps purposely), has turned the facts of the story inside out, it is the profoundness of the experience that he's communicating to the audience...and I'm reasonably certain that it’s David he’s speaking of. While there may have been another child with the same experience, it's just as likely he's speaking of David, as it is someone else. Judge for yourself. Hearing it was quite moving for me, as I’m certain it will be for you. If you’re reading the text instead, you will find the discussion of David about ¼ of the way through the text.

Presented in order, here are the four parts of Michael's address:




Rest in Peace, Michael.

No comments: