Friday, October 2, 2009

Farewell Walter: San Francisco Will Miss You

Last night I spent several hours helping a dear friend of mine pack up his life. Another member of my "Left Coast Family" is leaving San Francisco: Walter Breen. Another of Walter's friends happens to have several vacant houses in Salt Lake City, and offered to let Walter live in one them, rent free. An offer he couldn't refuse...and though saddened by his departure, I am happy about his good fortune.

Walter is more than a friend, he is one of my Heroes. And, I prefer my Heroes over my Angels. My Angels include Rick, Vincent, Flynn, Sam, Robert, Bill, Fred, Reggie...and on, and on, and on. They are countless. Each of them were taken from me by AIDS...but now they each watch over me, and protect me. I love them and think of them daily. When I consider how many friends I've lost, and how early it began, I am reminded of something Bette Midler said once, when asked about the friends she made in New York during her early years. She responded, "They're dead. They are all dead. I never realized that at such an early age...I would be on such intimate terms with death."

Walter, on the other hand has survived AIDS longer than anyone I know of (except maybe Larry Kramer). Walter has been living with AIDS for nearly 30 years (based on his doctors' estimates). When his doctors virtually hung up the towel on three different occasions, Walter persevered. He has such a bright burning flame, and such lust for life. He refuses to let AIDS win. God bless you Walter...and stay well. You are forever, My Hero.

No comments: