Saturday, July 24, 2010

Building a Dream Network 1.1 (The Modem)

This is part two of a series I'm writing on building my dream network at home. I'll be posting updates as appropriate, until the entire network is completed. You can find the complete series by clicking on this tag: Dream Network

Note: Wherever I feel it's appropriate, I'll be providing wiki-links on terms you may not be familiar with. I've done hours and hours of research to put this list together. Hopefully, I can help a few people out with their own situation. As noted in my previous article, I welcome your input, advice, comments or questions. Please send email to: networkplan(at)comcast.net.

This issue covers the selection of a modem. Based on quality, user ratings and future growth capability, I've chosen the Motorola SB6120 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 eXtreme Broadband Cable Modem
. While this product offers features not mentioned here, following are the basic criteria for my selection. As much as possible, these are listed in order of importance. (The first feature weighing heaviest, and so on.)

1. Approved model. This model is on the Comcast List of Approved Modems for high-speed internet service. You should check with your provider for a list. Your provider is not responsible for connection viability between your devices. But they are responsible for a viable strong signal your modem will accept. You should utilize a device they approve, to maintain their support for your connection.

2. DOCSIS 3.0 capability. This is the newest generation international telecommunications standard. DOCSIS 3.0 supports the latest Internet Protocol version (IPv6), offering increased speed and security. While its possible to upgrade to DOCSIS 2.0+IPv6, it requires a firmware upgrade to the modem. Meanwhile, IPv6 is the standard on DOCSIS 3.0. Additionally, 3.0 is capable of channel bonding, which allows multiple downstream and upstream channels to be used together at the same time by a single subscriber. Finally, I've confirmed that I'm already receiving a DOCSIS 3.0 signal, even though Comcast only hooked me up with a DOCSIS 2.0 modem. {Grrrr}

3. GigE connectivity. Eventually, I hope to stream high-definition video and live TV on my network. To accomplish this, it's important that I have ultra-high speed, wired connections available, starting at the wall. While pricey, it makes no sense to install 10/100 data transfer connections that will have to be eventually replaced. The new GigE (Gigabit Ethernet) transfer rates of 10/100/1000 will eventually the standard, and are already available on many devices.


4. Ratings and Reviews. As of this writing the SB6120 is the best selling modem on Amazon, where 383 users give it an average 4.5 star rating. It also has an alaScore of 92/100 at alaTest.com.

5. Two year warranty. An excellent warranty from Motorola.

Motorola SB6120 Specifications Data Sheet - English (222Kb pdf)
Motorola SB6120 Quick Start Guide - English (2Mb pdf)
Motorola SB6120 User Guide - English (2Mb pdf)

An excellent video review of this modem: (4:38)


If you can't get enough, this video from Motorola discusses the future of video quality, content and delivery, and DOCSIS 3.0's role in it: (4:07)



Next Installment: Dream Network 1.2: The Router

No comments: