Thursday, July 22, 2010

Building a Dream Network 1.0

Late last week, my internet connection went dead. After spending the weekend checking connections, testing equipment and four (count them) phone calls to Comcast Technical No-Support, I scheduled an appointment for a techie to come to the house. Apparently, my equipment is just so old it can't keep up anymore. The new modem he installed is is the Ambit U10C018, costing me $5.00 a month rental. I can buy one for about $40.

Anyway, I decided I was long overdue for a network upgrade. My router is also way out-of-date, and wired. It's time to go wireless. One piece of advice I've never forgotten about computer hardware: "buy the most advanced technology you can afford." Well some of the pieces I've picked are more than I would like to spend, but I've set a goal to complete my new network within 18 months. That means buying one new device every 3-4 months. Of course I'll revisit my later purchases, but I wanted to map out a plan first. It feeds my mild OCD. {"Did he say mild?"}

Note:
Wherever I feel it's appropriate, I'll be providing wiki-links on terms you may not be familiar with. I've done hours and hours of research to put this list together. Hopefully, I can help a few people out with their own situation.

Eventually, I'd like to be able to download or stream movies, music and live TV from the internet to my network and my television. Also, I hope to buy an Ooma VOIP hub for phone service. If I cancel cable TV and Vonage, I'll save about $135 a month, which will pay for my shiny new next-generation dream network! Aha! I welcome your input, advice or comments. Please send email to: networkplan(at)comcast.net.

Selection of my dream machines was driven by three overriding criteria:

1. Get the fastest (home) products now available. This includes DOCSIS 3.0 modem capability, 802.11n wireless connections, and Gigabit Ethernet connectivity on every component possible. All meeting IEEE Standards.

2. Make sure each device is backwards compatible. I don't want to buy something in the middle of my project that brings everything down. So, I am planning to build the network from the "wall" inward. (i.e. modem, router, storage, printing, users.) As each installation succeeds, I'll know I'm good from that device back to the wall. (For instance, my computer has an on-board Wireless-G card, which will work backwards until I choose to upgrade it.)

3. Choose products with strong USER ratings and support. Experience has taught me that relying on techies, whether they "support" your equipment or your ISP is unreliable at best, and futile at worst. Seeking help and advice from other Users is more apt to bring a successful solution. Sharing a popular device with potentially millions of others, reserves that opportunity.

4. Green Technology.
Yes, I know I said three criteria. But when available, green technology had a considerable impact on my decision. Particularly in the case of the NAS (Network Attached Storage).

Next Installment: Dream Network 1.1: The Modem

1 comment:

IT consulting said...

IT is becoming one of the most vital factors in the success of a business. Without it, growth for a company may not within reach.